Thursday, July 24, 2008

Any Plans This Weekend?




Oh yeah. That's right. I am going to Comic Con in San Diego, the world's largest comic book convention. I fly down this evening at 6 and don't return until Sunday evening. It is shaping up to be one of the most interesting weekends of my life. I am going to be staying with my friends who I haven't gotten to see for a long time, some as long as 6 years. Needless to say, I am a bit excited.

Now, I used to read comic books all the time. I actually had a cool little collection of a few fairly significant comic books that I was really proud of. My friends Nelson and Jordan got me into collecting them and we would go to the store together and buy a bunch of books, go read them, and trade. Then we'd talk about them too. It was kind of like a 5th grade book club without the pretense of academia as all book clubs I have participated in as an adult end up. I had The Maxx number 0, as well as a plethora of X-Men. Now if I read a comic it is usually in the newspaper. Boo,I know. I am reverting back to my old ways though this weekend and will be getting crazy with the comics. Yeah. I just said getting crazy with the comics. I am a geek. And that's fine if you think so.

The one thing I am not looking forward to about this weekend is the running I am going to have t do while I am down there. In preparation for this half marathin I am running, I have to run on a regular basis and some days run for a long time. Of course my 8-10 mile run coincides with Comic Con and Party weekend with some of my best friends, so I get to wake up early on Saturday after an evening I can only assume will be filled with way too much debauchery for one person to handle, and run for 8 miles. Right now I am running like a 10 minute mile, so if I want to get the most out of Saturday, I am going to have to get up around 7:30 and run. In the San Diego heat no less. I am sure it isn't too bad, however I live in San Francisco and I run in the fog. When the sun comes out I like to hide in the shade.

Either way, Comic Con is gonna rock and the marathon is a week away and I am a little freaked out by my attendance at both events.

No comments: